Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Push C++20 Modules Hard

 A bit of the rationale behind why you really want to push c++20 modules hard, and why I am jumping on the bandwagon early.

In my online discussions, the most notable feature of c++20 modules mentioned is that'll substantially decrease compilation time.  Better performance, that's always nice. But.

Modules allow another, better, way to organize your code.

And despite being a programming language enthusiast which implies that I, like a lot of academics, tend to concentrate on the trivial, that's huge. Software engineering isn't about nullptr, but about developing and maintaining large codebases. Another means to organize code will impact everyone.

And it is no wonder Microsoft is leading this endeavour at the moment. The traditional route is from programming language, to operating system, to application; this will change how OSes are written. Whoever is in front of the curve can gain a potential edge in this manner.

That's why I am early in jumping on the bandwagon in this case. This is actually hard since my M1 makes a substandard development machine. So I'll be buying a windows/Linux machine and returning to whatever environment that can give me modules early.

No comments:

Post a Comment